Monday, April 25, 2011

Turning Points Chaper 9: Involving Parents and Communities Synthesis

I can't count the number of times when I have talked about how important it is to get parents involved in the students classwork. This chapter was a great resource for us because it gave a lot of examples on how to get parents and the community into the class. I really liked when the authors talked about getting parents that were ELL into the classroom by making the environment a safer one for them. I could ask parents of different backgrounds to come in and talk with my students about what they have learned and relate it to what we are learning. I know as a science teacher, I want to get as many professionals as I can to come in and talk with my students. If I can get people to come in and talk about how chemistry is important in their job, students will see how applicable the material we are learning is to the world outside of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment